Monday, October 18, 2010

Not sure I'm ready to teach weaving...


So, I have now taught someone to weave.  I’ve taught people to knit before (some successfully, some not), but weaving is to me, more difficult.  There’s so much you have to think about when teaching that I don’t normally think of when weaving, probably because it comes fairly naturally to me.  Especially now that I’ve warped my loom thirty-something times… I can do it without thinking how or why.

First, it was a loom I wasn’t used to… more on that later.   The warping process went pretty smoothly, I thought, although I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the teeth on the Beka.  We used the direct warping method and were warping a scarf.   Or, I should say “she,” since Elisabeth did all the work.

The second day, we moved on to threading the heddle, tying on, and weaving!  It’s so exciting to get someone up and weaving.  However, apparently I didn’t know which way the loom went, because we warped it upside-down.  We were brainstorming ways to fix it when Dawn, another friend, said “all we have to do is take off the sides and switch them!”  Whew, problem solved, the easy way.

Then, a sticky warp… I hadn’t thought about what type of yarn would be best.  Higher tension helped that, and I have some hair detangler that might help a bit.  I was just relieved when, finally, everything seemed to be working.  It's no fun to have your first project flop.

One thing I like about weaving is that there are always problems, issues, to solve.  It keeps my brain sharp.  :) So does trying to teach it to someone else!

2 comments:

  1. You're a good teacher, Steph! What's a lesson without problems to solve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mom. You're a great teacher! Besides, seeing how those problems can be worked out is another good lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete